Long Seax, Viking Sax Knife with Leather-Wrapped Grip
This Viking Age sax knife (also called a scramasax) features a long EN45 spring steel blade with a thick spine, a pointed tip and twin fullers. The edge is not sharpened and the blade’s full tang is peened to the pommel.
The handle is composed of a thick, short oval guard, a late Viking style single-pieced pommel and a wooden grip tighly bound in brown leather. Both the guard and pommel are cast from steel and blued, which makes for a truly eye-catching hilt and lends the early medieval knife a rustic character.
Included with the long Viking seax is a sturdy, high-quality sheath made of brown, vegetable tanned leather. It features a handsome braided seam and a pair of belt loops for typical Viking-style horizontal carry.
Please note that this Viking saxe is not a battle ready weapon. It is designed as a collector’s or decoration/display piece and is not suited for combat reenactment. Besides its quality as a collectible, it is also perfectly suited as a prop (e.g. to complete your costume) and will make your transformation into a proud Norse warrior just perfect!
– Material: EN45 spring steel blade (high carbon steel, not stainless), cast steel guard and pommel (blued), leather-wrapped wooden handle
– Overall length: approx. 63 cm
– Blade length: approx. 48 cm
– Blade thickness: approx. 4.5 mm / 3 mm towards the point (cutting edge approx. 1 mm)
– Max. blade width: approx. 4 cm (approx. 3.4 cm at guard)
– Hilt length: approx. 15 cm (grip approx. 10.5 cm)
– Point of balance: approx. 7 cm from the guard
– Weight: approx. 1.04 kg (approx. 1.2 kg with sheath)
– Leather sheath with carrying loops
Specs may slightly vary from piece to piece.
The steel used here is not rust-proof and might show slight surface tarnishing in places. We recommend you to maintain the Viking knife on a regular basis, for example using Ballistol Universal Oil, which is ideally suited for steel care.Vikingatida