Viking Spectacle Helmet, 2 mm Steel, with Plume and Chaimail Aventail
This battle-ready Viking Age spectacle helmet is hand-forged from 2 mm thick steel. It consists of a domed helmet bowl, a brow-band with strips or bands (in German so-called Spangen) running from front to back and from ear to ear, and a spectacle guard (a protective face plate resembling eyeglasses / spectacles). The bands and face plate are crafted from thinner steel and fastened to the bowl with steel rivets. The blackened interior is fitted with a leather suspension liner and the leather chin strap closes with a steel buckle.
The helmet features a shoulder-length chainmail aventail or camail that protects the neck, throat and lower facial part. The 4 in 1 mail weave is composed of 1.6 mm thick, round riveted steel rings with an inner diameter of approx. 9 mm. The aventail is directly attached to the lower edge of the bowl and spectacles.
The early medieval spangenhelm comes complete with a black, approx. 70 cm long horsehair plume.
This fine, fully wearable battle helmet will make your transformation into a proud Norse warrior just perfect. Of course, it will also make a great, decorative addition to any helmet collector’s treasure chamber.
– Suited for combat reenactment
– Material: 2 mm steel, leather inlay, leather chin strap
– Chainmail aventail: round rings riveted (RRR) , ID 9 mm
– Suitable for head circumference up to approx. 64 cm
– Long distance (back to front): approx. 22 cm
– Short distance (ear to ear): approx. 19 cm
– Height (without aventail): approx. 15 cm (approx. 24 cm with spectacle/ nose guard)
– Length of aventail (fully stretched): approx. 24 cm
– Weight (with aventail and plume): approx. 3,2 kg
– Delivery WITHOUT helmet stand