Viking Spectacle Helmet, Spangenhelm with Aventail, 1.2 mm Steel
This Viking Age glasses helmet is made of 1.2 mm steel. It consists of a blackened, rounded helmet bell, a forehead band, two crossing bands / strips or clasps (a crown band and a band that runs from ear to ear) and glasses with nose protection. The individual parts of the helmet are connected to one another by steel rivets and the spaces between the steel strips are filled with Y-shaped brass plates or segments riveted to the bell with brass rivets. The band fittings and the face / eye protection are decorated with a knot pattern or wickerwork in the Celtic style.
The inside is blackened and provided with a riveted, adjustable leather inlay. The chinstrap made of black, 2 mm thick leather is equipped with a steel buckle.
To protect the neck, throat and lower face area, the helmet has an attached, shoulder-length chain well. The chain mesh consists of non-riveted steel rings with an inner diameter of approx. 9 mm. The lower edge of the bell and the glasses are equipped with riveted eyelets through which a stable iron wire runs all around. The fountain is attached to it.
In the early European Middle Ages the spangenhelm was the predominant type of helmet. However, the helmet offered here is not an authentic reproduction of a historical original, but rather a free interpretation of the early medieval Germanic nasal helmets, buckle / band helmets and spectacle helmets from the Vendel and Viking times.
This beautiful, wearable fantasy helmet of diverse (Scandinavian, Anglo-Saxon, Norman, etc.) inspiration is an ideal accessory for LARP, fantasy, costume, stage or TV / film and will make your transformation into a proud Nordic warrior simply perfect. Of course, it is also an excellent decorative addition to the treasure trove of every helmet collector.
– Material: 1.2 mm blackened steel bowl, steel bands, brass fittings, leather inlay, leather chin strap
– Chainmail aventail: butted steel rings, ID 9 mm
– Suitable for head circumference up to approx. 66 cm
– Long distance (back to front): approx. 21 cm
– Short distance (ear to ear): approx. 21 cm
– Height (without aventail): approx. 16 cm (approx. 26 cm with spectacle/nose guard)
– Length of aventail (fully stretched): approx. 30 cm
– Weight (with aventail): approx. 4.5 kg