In 1876, the Samurai were banned from carrying their swords.
This attempt to end a thousand year tradition was not received well by the proud warrior class and the ”stick katana” was born.
Innocuous walking canes now concealed the revered blades, but the katana lived on.
The Bamboo Stick Katana from Hanwei combines an artfully carved bamboo scabbard and handle with a blade (nagasa) that is hand-forged in 1065 high-carbon steel and is differentially hardened using a traditional claying method.
The edge hardness and resilient blade body produced by this technique embody the true secret of the Samurai sword.
Made by Hanwei.
– Hand forged and tempered blade
– Hand carved
– Genuine temper line
– Blade material: 1056 high carbon steel
– Overall length: approx. 99.7 cm
– Blade length: approx. 69.2 cm
– Handle length: approx. 28.6 cm
– Weight: approx. 822 g
– Point of balance: approx. 14 cm from the guard
– Blade width at guard: approx. 2.8 cm
– Blade width at tip: approx. 1.9 cm
– Blade thickness at guard: approx. 7 mm
– Blade thickness at tip: approx. 4 mm
– Sori: approx. 1.9 cm